Skip to main content

Maybe there is hope

Feb 14th, Saturday
We got a text from Dr Carroll today and he approved a blood draw for tomorrow to check his levels and get hydration. We are almost home. Brace screwed a few power failure lights on today. To give me a sense or order in my life I decided to clear off the granite and take a picture. We talked to the tree trimmer today and the blinds for the small windows were installed. (they look beautiful) Tomorrow the painters are coming to paint the mantle and bunk room (6 queen size beds). The other master bedrooms are done. You have to read the last line on the T-shirt picture that the young Heather Savage sent. Happy V day. We are going to try to see She Loves Me the musical tomorrow at Sergestrom. Penelope’s favorite musical. Sad but true Penelope Lake, we will miss you. James and Kjarstin and the Winkler’s are going. Assuming we get some blood or feel great off the mountain.

So when we got home Friday night,  I continued to wonder why Brace was feeling so bad and we were so close to the next treatment. Normally right before chemo each time, he feels stable and relatively strong.(thank goodness it is only immunotherapy this Tuesday)  He has just felt awful for the last week maybe longer.  I just kept trying to figure out what was different.  Then I realized it was the meds.  

The backstory.... I decided about 2 weeks ago that Brace wouldn't need his pain meds anymore and we should not take them anymore.  When we stopped his pain patch I carefully watched him for 24 hours and he seemed fine.   

So I ran to Google and sure enough it said that if I stopped his pain patch it would take 48 hours not 24 hours to notice changes. And that he would make him sick for 2 weeks if we stopped cold turkey.  Eeeek!  So we decided that since Dr. Nguyen didn't authorize stopping that we should start his regimen again.  At 7:30pm we gave him his pain patch. 

Feb 15th: Sunday
So pain patches can take 12-24 hours to work.  They usually start to make a difference at 12 hours so we were hoping at 7:30am there would be improvement and there was a little.  I brought his formula and gave me his morning meds.  He then took a nap.  At 9:30am I went in to see how he was doing and he was sleepy and stable, but he didn't look like he would make it to church.  I went to church and enjoyed the peace of God's house and joining with the saints.  If you didn't know Kjarstin and James are in our ward so I get to sit with them. 

When I came home the priests were here to bring the sacrament to Brace.  Sean Robertson, Kyle Myers and his father Dave Myers was their leader and driver.  When they came he was making his own smoothie and he looked strong.  He is only willing to drink a smoothie much less make a smoothie when his stomach is stable.  With his new found stability and freedom from pain he looked and sounded like Brace. Hurrah! 

This week we see the Dental Oncologist, Speech Therapist (swallowing), Physical Therapist and infusion center for Immunotherapy. 

Thank you for your prayers.  Today is a good day. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brace never complains

Brace is pretty stable. Friday was a bad day at radiation. The new mask was way too tight and he wasn't happy about it. We talked with Alice and the techs and hopefully they will have that resolved by Monday's appointment. On Friday Drew and Kathleen Himber came to visit us. (They live in Chicago these days) Brace felt pretty good today and he was able to eat a few bites of food. He seems to really likes drinking ice water right now and we hope that doesn't go away with chemo treatment starting on Tuesday. Brace... never complains never feels like a victim never asks why him Karen... feels positive in the morning feels overwhelmed at night What to Pray or Fast for? We are worried about chemo next week coupled with radiation. (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) This will be round four and every time he does chemo he gets sicker than the last time. They will add a nuepogen shot on Friday. Thank you's... Bob Demmon for driving on ...

MRI, no Brain Surgeon, Friday Radiation

Liver MRI : Brace had an uneventful MRI this morning. It takes a while for the write-up and CD. After talking with Dr. Carroll the other day I'm not that worried about it. He then ran to LA to work with a client today. Trust: One of my clients is an estate lawyer and was kind enough to meet with me this morning to setup our family trust. Everything should be set by next week. If you need a referral, she was amazing and gave me great advice. Dana and LouAnn Lake came to visit Brace this afternoon from Arizona. It was a treat to see them. I forgot to take a picture. Brain Surgeon : He was on call at the hospital and had two surgeries. We postponed out appointment to next Wednesday. Fast Radiation: We are coming home now from radiation. It was his fastest yet. He doesn't complain or freak out, which they said is uncommon. Until we did this I had no idea what radiation on your face really meant. We are thrilled with the doctors and the techs her...

Chemo Week Round 4

I'm sitting here in our adjustable bed (we are spoiled) with Brace listening to Jesus is Just Alright with Me while I finally update the blog.  That is a great song....  I also like The Spirit in the Sky, but Brace is not convinced it is as good as Just Alright.  He accidentally hit my song and we're listening to Spirit in the Sky. Short Version: Brace has chemo this week (3 days) and radiation ends tomorrow! Next week should be awful. Saturday Star Wars:  So Brace felt pretty stable Saturday.  When Corte Haggard took him to radiation last week he got him all jazzed about Star Wars.  So at around 3:30 we went to Foothill with James and Kjarstin to see Star Wars.  Brace was decked out with mask and gloves.  We enjoyed the movie but it wiped him out and so we headed home to try to go to bed early. FLOOD: James and Kjarstin had been working on some Glee projects in the music lab so they headed to Glee after the movie. (Tender me...