Skip to main content

Great news....

I think I will end with the great great great news.... Keep you guessing.




Wednesday Night:  Radiation never called to have us come in.  Brace felt awful and we were awake from about 2:45-4:00am trying to figure out how to sleep after I gave him pain meds. 

Thursday Morning:  I got Brace set up with food and meds this morning.  I didn't exercise and didn't shower before Jim and Martin arrived at 8:50am.  Then I did about 1/2 hour of Glee and was on the phone with radiation, oncology, home health and the pharmacy. 

I texted the amazing Alice to tell her how terrible the communication has been with radiation oncology.  This morning, while we were moving the bed,  Gene, the Director of the Radiation department at the Cancer Center, called and apologized for the bad communication.  He said they would call us late afternoon or tomorrow (Friday) for a treatment.  Instead of restarting the scan they hope to move all the programming to the new machine at the Cancer center.  If you missed a few of my posts, we have now missed SIX radiation treatments due to their server problems.  I keep remembering the blessing from Jim Hope that said the doctors would make mistakes, but it wouldn't change the outcome. 

We will probably have radiation Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, no Christmas, Thursday and Friday.  Now doesn't that sound fun when you feel awful? 

When I was on the phone with Dr. Carroll to get chemo set up they said they wanted to meet us today. So off we went without Karen showering... pretty sad right?   As you may remember, Dr. Carroll moved to the Hoag Cancer center from UCI Health and so we met with him in the new digs today. We discussed how sick Brace was and he couldn't really keep anything down.  He told us again the most miserable treatment is head and neck cancer doing radiation and chemo at the same time. (Brace liked hearing this)  We met with him for an hour and then he told us the great great great news.  He looked at the MRI results and the tumor in his nose is GONE!   He had to say it several times for us to really get it. They are still going to continue with probably 3 more rounds of chemo and finish the 33 radiation treatments.  They just want to make sure they get every cancer cell there. 

Some of you might wonder about the brain tumor.  We haven't heard from the brain surgeon, but Dr. Carroll was thrilled that it had not changed.  He said he would be really worried if it was gone because that would mean it was probably cancer and it had spread to his brain.  

Brace threw up this morning like he has many times this week and now refuses to take any of the existing formula.  Understandable but, then what do we do?  I called Home Health and after talking to them an hour today they are bringing Kate Farms formula tonight.  (This should make Robyn Robinson smile, she likes this brand)  We are running out of our bags for the liquid pump for his g-tube so they are bringing more of those too. 

How is Karen?
Probably my worst day yet.  Just so many emotional advocate battles today, I could barely appreciate that the tumor was gone.  I am terrified that Brace is losing weight and not eating or drinking even 10% of what he needs. Maybe I will be happy and appreciate the news tomorrow? 

How is Brace?  He feels awful, but feeling a lot better with Electrolytes seeming to stay down, new anti-nausea meds and doing the pump at half speed.  Hopefully one of the those things will make a difference and he won't throw up tonight.  Again, not looking for advice.... just love and support.  (You guys rock at that)

What to pray for? 
Pray that Brace can keep formula down.  He's lost 20+ pounds so far. 
Pray that he can sleep through the night so he can heal and Karen can cope. 
Pray for the nausea to stop.  Who knew that was such a terrible thing?  Penrods know.  
Pray for Carey Penrod.  He needs your prayers.  

  • Thank you to Jim Hope and Martin who came to move the heavy bed to the truck.  I now have my family room without a bed in it for the family party Monday. 
  • Thank you to James Swift that came to hang with Brace so I could attend a student concert. 
  • Thank you to Craig Williams for taking a half hour to find Adult Pedialyte at CVS.
  • Thank you to Corey Procuniar and Ed Mauss for being willing to drive. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brace never complains

Brace is pretty stable. Friday was a bad day at radiation. The new mask was way too tight and he wasn't happy about it. We talked with Alice and the techs and hopefully they will have that resolved by Monday's appointment. On Friday Drew and Kathleen Himber came to visit us. (They live in Chicago these days) Brace felt pretty good today and he was able to eat a few bites of food. He seems to really likes drinking ice water right now and we hope that doesn't go away with chemo treatment starting on Tuesday. Brace... never complains never feels like a victim never asks why him Karen... feels positive in the morning feels overwhelmed at night What to Pray or Fast for? We are worried about chemo next week coupled with radiation. (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) This will be round four and every time he does chemo he gets sicker than the last time. They will add a nuepogen shot on Friday. Thank you's... Bob Demmon for driving on ...

Chemo Week Round 4

I'm sitting here in our adjustable bed (we are spoiled) with Brace listening to Jesus is Just Alright with Me while I finally update the blog.  That is a great song....  I also like The Spirit in the Sky, but Brace is not convinced it is as good as Just Alright.  He accidentally hit my song and we're listening to Spirit in the Sky. Short Version: Brace has chemo this week (3 days) and radiation ends tomorrow! Next week should be awful. Saturday Star Wars:  So Brace felt pretty stable Saturday.  When Corte Haggard took him to radiation last week he got him all jazzed about Star Wars.  So at around 3:30 we went to Foothill with James and Kjarstin to see Star Wars.  Brace was decked out with mask and gloves.  We enjoyed the movie but it wiped him out and so we headed home to try to go to bed early. FLOOD: James and Kjarstin had been working on some Glee projects in the music lab so they headed to Glee after the movie. (Tender me...

MRI, no Brain Surgeon, Friday Radiation

Liver MRI : Brace had an uneventful MRI this morning. It takes a while for the write-up and CD. After talking with Dr. Carroll the other day I'm not that worried about it. He then ran to LA to work with a client today. Trust: One of my clients is an estate lawyer and was kind enough to meet with me this morning to setup our family trust. Everything should be set by next week. If you need a referral, she was amazing and gave me great advice. Dana and LouAnn Lake came to visit Brace this afternoon from Arizona. It was a treat to see them. I forgot to take a picture. Brain Surgeon : He was on call at the hospital and had two surgeries. We postponed out appointment to next Wednesday. Fast Radiation: We are coming home now from radiation. It was his fastest yet. He doesn't complain or freak out, which they said is uncommon. Until we did this I had no idea what radiation on your face really meant. We are thrilled with the doctors and the techs her...