Skip to main content

No more eating....

I haven't posted in a while so people are starting to ask....

How is Brace? 
Not so good, but he is trying to stay positive.  We knew December would be a rough month.  We were not wrong.  Right now his pain is between a 7 and a 8 but when he talks or tried to drink something it shoots to a ten.  That means he is trying to only write on a notepad or text.  It is quiet at our house. :) . He eats and drinks through the tube.  Thank you to Larry for helping us learn of all the feeding tube contraptions.  We loved your pictures, devices and movies.



Friday 11/29
Blaine, Brace's brother, came to visit for the day.  We loved having Blaine here to get Brace's turkey laugh in action.  (He still was able to talk a little that day) . Blaine was able to hang out with Brace a few hours that night so I could choose and purchase couches for the Arrowhead cabin.

I was so bummed that I didn't take his picture.  Ugh

Saturday 11/30
The Perkins' family (Karen's sister) was willing to move Thanksgiving to Saturday so we could visit with the Larsen's on Thursday and in hopes that he might feel better with no radiation on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  Sadly his throat was worse..... He fed his formula through his tube while the rest of us lucky souls got to partake of the amazing Perkins' Thanksgiving.  Geneil, Dominique and Leslie were all in town.  It was a nice day, but it really tried Brace out.  We love our family.




After we got home, I got his meds ready and flew to the temple for an hour in Newport Beach.  I love the temple and was glad to feel the peace of the Lord there. Corey Procuniar was working security in the parking lot on the way out and listened to me talk for 20 minutes before I rushed home to Brace.

At night we paged the doctor, over our concern of not having enough meds to get him through this incredibly painful ordeal.  He is in pain 24/7.  Our amazing doctor returned our call at 11pm.  He is going to try to get a palliative doctor to help us.  They coordinate and try to find solutions to the painful symptoms, I guess.  Maybe Monday?   The thought of this getting worse every day seems pretty awful, but with every radiation and chemo treatment he will feel worse.

I tried to finish the rest of the cabin furniture online with the Black Friday deals until 2am.  I think I have very few things left.....  Appliances installed on Tuesday.  All three bathrooms are complete and the tile flooring is done.

Sunday 12/1
Brace woke up rearing to go.  When I got up at 8:30am, he had already showered, done a feeding, taken his mouth medicine and ten other things. Then he collapsed and took a nap.  I finally got on my exercise bike and then got dressed in time for the priests to come and bring us the sacrament.  Then brother Dayley came over and gave Brace and I a blessing. Kjarstin and James came to hang out with us too. During the blessing Robyn dropped off a healthy delicious dinner for Karen because she knew that Dave and Diana Haslam from Utah were coming over to visit.  To be funny Dave brought over 4 Jumbo Jack tacos which Brace thought was hilarious.  Karen, that's me, thinks those tacos shouldn't even be a food group.  Who knows what is in them. Right?  Luckily for Brace's health, he's not eating anything through his mouth now. We love Dave and Diana.

What to Pray For?
Pray that he can sleep
Pray that Karen can stay healthy.
Pray that we find a doctor that can manage his pain

New Solidarity Pictures
Nik Nielson - shaved his hair for Brace (used to be a missionary in the Foothill Ranch ward)
Nathan White - grew sideburns.  He says he gets some funny looks from work.




Thank you's
Dave Blackledge for unclogging our sink.
The Williams' family for putting up our lights on the porch.
Sandi Schreiber for coming over to receive our Walmart delivery
Webber boys for taking out our trash and Bob for bringing it back.
James for decorating our tree and making it look like we are ready for Christmas.
Great memory letter from Tom and Dorothy
Texting memes to Brace
Ronnetta for making Stake Music happen
Cards and old fashioned letters to Penelope



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brace never complains

Brace is pretty stable. Friday was a bad day at radiation. The new mask was way too tight and he wasn't happy about it. We talked with Alice and the techs and hopefully they will have that resolved by Monday's appointment. On Friday Drew and Kathleen Himber came to visit us. (They live in Chicago these days) Brace felt pretty good today and he was able to eat a few bites of food. He seems to really likes drinking ice water right now and we hope that doesn't go away with chemo treatment starting on Tuesday. Brace... never complains never feels like a victim never asks why him Karen... feels positive in the morning feels overwhelmed at night What to Pray or Fast for? We are worried about chemo next week coupled with radiation. (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) This will be round four and every time he does chemo he gets sicker than the last time. They will add a nuepogen shot on Friday. Thank you's... Bob Demmon for driving on ...

Chemo Week Round 4

I'm sitting here in our adjustable bed (we are spoiled) with Brace listening to Jesus is Just Alright with Me while I finally update the blog.  That is a great song....  I also like The Spirit in the Sky, but Brace is not convinced it is as good as Just Alright.  He accidentally hit my song and we're listening to Spirit in the Sky. Short Version: Brace has chemo this week (3 days) and radiation ends tomorrow! Next week should be awful. Saturday Star Wars:  So Brace felt pretty stable Saturday.  When Corte Haggard took him to radiation last week he got him all jazzed about Star Wars.  So at around 3:30 we went to Foothill with James and Kjarstin to see Star Wars.  Brace was decked out with mask and gloves.  We enjoyed the movie but it wiped him out and so we headed home to try to go to bed early. FLOOD: James and Kjarstin had been working on some Glee projects in the music lab so they headed to Glee after the movie. (Tender me...

MRI, no Brain Surgeon, Friday Radiation

Liver MRI : Brace had an uneventful MRI this morning. It takes a while for the write-up and CD. After talking with Dr. Carroll the other day I'm not that worried about it. He then ran to LA to work with a client today. Trust: One of my clients is an estate lawyer and was kind enough to meet with me this morning to setup our family trust. Everything should be set by next week. If you need a referral, she was amazing and gave me great advice. Dana and LouAnn Lake came to visit Brace this afternoon from Arizona. It was a treat to see them. I forgot to take a picture. Brain Surgeon : He was on call at the hospital and had two surgeries. We postponed out appointment to next Wednesday. Fast Radiation: We are coming home now from radiation. It was his fastest yet. He doesn't complain or freak out, which they said is uncommon. Until we did this I had no idea what radiation on your face really meant. We are thrilled with the doctors and the techs her...